Thursday 8 October 2009

SAD?

Well the nights are drawing in again and I know that a lot of people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I for one suffer slightly and I have already noticed a change in my mood, craving more stodgy foods and feeling more lethargic than normal. I thought I would put down a few hits and tips that may be of help:
  • The research on the use of Lightboxes has been very positive as it stimulates the production of chemicals in the brain and appears to have an anti-depressant effect. (Although I have not used one before I have noticed Boots had a Lightbox which was relatively cheap in comparison to others , although, please note I do not know if there are still available?)
  • Complementary therapies that help you to relax and release stress
  • Exercising can be a mood lifter as it releases endorphins.
  • Eating right and developing a sleep routine can help you feel better in the long term
  • Creative visualisation - Closing your eyes and imaging walking along a beach on a hot summers day, really focusing on the sun rays warming up your body, healing, nurturing and filling you with energy.
  • Wearing bright and cheery colours sometimes can help change moods
  • Counselling and CBT can help with feelings of isolation/depression
  • For more extreme forms of SAD I would recommend a visit to the doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.