Sunday 25 October 2009

Black dog


Recently I came across 'I had a black dog' by Matthew Johnstone, a beautifully illustrated book which helps explain the oppressive 'heavy black cloud' of depression. The World Health Organisation has also produced this very helpful YouTube clip. I really liked the succinctness of the pictures reflecting what life is really like for people suffering from this debilitating illness and helpful advice of not suffering alone.
I think using antidepressants can help some people function and cope with their day to day life, and I also advocate the importance of talking therapies.
Another book I recommend is 'Sunbathing in the Rain' by Gwyneth Lewis. With its practical tips,  striking observations and wise musings, it's an insightful read into one woman's journey from the dark through to the light on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.